Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 17:20:27 -0400
I recently upgraded my son's computer to an Abit BH6 motherboard with
PII-400 with 128 Meg Ram.  On the first IDE channel we had a new Western
Digital 8.4 Gig hard drive and a 3.0 G WD.  The secondary channel has as
Master an IDE Zip drive. This setup works fine. The operating system is Win
98.  We have all IDE channels set to auto detect.

We removed the Seagate tape drive (will get model number if needed, it is
one that uses the 4 Gig Travan backup tapes).  The tape was working fine
when we removed it from the old chassis.  The manual says to connect it to
the secondary channel and if another device is on the channel to make it
the slave.  We located the jumpers for both the  Zip drive and set it to
master (it worked ok alone with that configuration) and then set the
Seagate to slave with its jumpers.  When we rebooted neither the ZIP drive
nor the tape unit were recognized by the BIOS.  I then just removed the
data cable from the tape unit and rebooted.  All ok, Zip drive shows up.  I
then disconnected the Zip drive, jumpered the tape unit as only device on
channel and re-booted.  The tape unit was not recognized by the BIOS.  The
computer pauses a relatively long time while trying to detect what is on
the second channel when the tape unit is connected but then says nothing
connected.

Any clues on where to start our search?

TIA

Doug Simmons