From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:19:01 -0800
>Hello all,
>
>I'm a township supervisor with a special problem.  Our municipal manager
>has become seriously ill, and all the information pertaining to her job
>is on a township owned computer in her home.  We've retrieved the
>computer, but it is password protected.  Her health is failing rapidly,
>and she is in no condition to recall what that password is.  Is there
>some way to remove or change this password?  Hopefully, without losing
>all the data?  It is a Gateway computer running Windows 98.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Don Llewellyn

Windows 98 passwords don't really "count" for anything.  When the computer
boots up, you should be able to just hit enter and get in to Windows.  From
there, you can open a command window and navigate to the Windows directory.
Find all *.pwl files and delete them.  Then reboot and only hit enter while
the computer starts up.

Now, if you are talking about a password that comes up before the computer
even boots, then that's a different mattter.  The way to fix that is to
open the case and find the jumper that clears the CMOS.  Clear the CMOS and
then reboot.  You will have to get a copy of the manual or other technical
information about this computer to point you to the right jumper and
procedures to do this.

Best of Luck!

Tony Mayer

PS:  Neither of these steps should hurt your data, generally speaking.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>