From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 22:53:09 -0600
TracyTaulman wrote:

>     Can anyone give me the lowdown on how faster than 33.6K connections
> work?  I have a USR V.90 connecting to my ISP who has V.90 modems.  I
> usually get a 31200K connection or what Win98 reports as a 115200K on
> other occasions.  I've tried other ISP's with no better luck.  It seems
> strange to me why I can't get a faster connection when my neighbor 2
> houses down gets about a 48K connect.  Any thoughts or suggestions would
> be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like a configuration problem if you're SURE it's a V.90 modem.
You might try checking the settings for your modem's serial port.  Go
to:

Control Panel|System|Device Manager|Ports|COMx|Properties|Bits Per
Second

and make sure that the rate is high enough.  Also, double check the
stored settings for your modem to make sure that they are set to the
maximum rate.  HTH

--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html