From:
Ron Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:01:50 -0500
You've just opened a great big can of worms.  Everyone points fingers to
everyone else.  Microsoft licensing is very technical and has even changed
throughout the life of Windows XP.  Licensing depends on how you obtained
your copy of Windows.  Full retail copies can be moved from machine to
machine, with some limits.  OEM software is tied to the original computer,
and specifically the motherboard.  I'm guessing since you have an eMachines,
it came with that machine and is an OEM version.

The "outfit" that changed your motherboard, did activate the license or else
you wouldn't have been able to run a year.  When you did the system restore,
it was to a time before the activation.  So, activation is up to you.  The
company that did the work tried to do you a favor by loading a bulk license
and not requiring you buy a new copy of Windows.  While less than legal in
Microsoft's licensing, it works until an owner tries to reactivate the newer
copy.

eMachines sold you a computer 5 years ago and a license that "clearly"
states you don't own your copy of Windows, Microsoft does.  If there are
significant changes to the computer (like changing the motherboard) then you
may have to obtain a new copy of Windows.

Who's at fault?  Microsoft for having such a convulted licensing scheme?
eMachines for not standing behind their warranty 3 years after it expired
and another company making significant changes to your computer?  The other
company for not notifying you what could happen to your license?  You, as
the owner, for not reading and understanding all the licensing materials
that came with your computer?  Of course, the agreement is generally
included on a CD, inside a sleeve with the warning that if you open the
sleeve you agree to the contract which is inside the sleeve (see Microsoft
again).  These are the reasons I won't change a motherboard in an older, XP
based computer.

Had the company that changed your motherboard complied strictly by laws and
licensing, the cost to you would have been about the same as replacing your
computer completely.  I've not looked up your model, but here's an
approximate charge to you for a full, legal replacement:
$120 motherboard
$100 labor to install the motherboard
$150 Windows 7 Pro with downgrade rights
$ ??  labor to load Windows XP pro from a disk I had to pay for and keep
sitting around.
We're at $370 with an undetermined labor charge, probably $50.  The cost has
now exceeded the value of your computer.  The value of the information on
your computer (documents, pictures, email, contacts, etc) is worth more than
the hardware and software.

I'm just expressing my opinion.  In a case like this it is very difficult to
assign blame for a problem.  Sorry for the length of this post, but the
whole topic is not easily understood with less information.
Ron Jobe

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 5:55 AM, Bruce Lund <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> OK, for those that have been watching, I just did an XP Home restore on my
> eMachines D2880.
> Computer was purchased new over 5 years ago.I paid to have a new mother
> board installed about a year ago.I did a system restore last week due to a
> system error.I spent a couple hours last night trying to (re)activate the
> operating system online, then on the phone with Microsoft and then, after
> they told me it was a bulk license number and I would have to resolve with
> the manufacturer,I did an online chat with eMachines who told me that,
> because I replaced the mother board, I would have to buy a new license at
> retail, which I don't think is even possible at this point, even though the
> concept that a mother board failing (and later system restore) triggers the
> necessity of buying a new license just seems wrong in oh so many ways.So,
> who do I pressure on this (and how)? Microsoft? eMachines? The outfit that
> installed the mother board? If it is the local outfit that did the mother
> board a year ago, I can camp out on their door step although that would be
>  uncomfortable since they never got the system right after the mobo
> replacement. But if this should be handled by Microsoft or eMachines, how do
> I get past their un-empowered employees who I believe are on the other side
> of the world and/or their faceless chat agents?
>
> Needless to say, this is incredibly aggravating after the hours (and
> counting) I took to restore the system in the first place. So where do I
> apply the pressure, besides the "What's Your Problem?" column at the Chicago
> Tribune?
>
> Bruce
>
>              The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                         support at our website:
>                          http://freepctech.com

                     visit our download web page at
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml