From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:46:27 -0400
Cathy, I think Sue has given you good advice, its time for a new monitor.

In the mean time, to get it so you can use the old one,

On the desktop, right-click, and choose properties.  As soon as the desktop
properties window opens, you should see tabs across the top, the last one is
the settings tab.  If you can't because the tabs are above the top of the
screen, press

Alt-spacebar which will open a little menu which you probably won't see
either, Press M for move, then down arrow (left arrow / right arrow etc)
until the window moves to the center of the screen.
Now use Settings Tab to change the display back to a higher resolution so
the desktop is bigger and windows again fit into it.

If you can't use the buttons located on the monitor itself to adjust away
the black border by adjusting horizontal and vertical dimensions, then the
probable cause is that the monitor is fading.  One symptom of a failing
display is the focus of the electron guns keeps getting narrower and
narrower, so the display borders creep toward the center.
Tom Turak