From:
Phillip Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:12:54 -0500
I recently sent this in using my AOLmail before I remembered being
told the list wasn't accepting AOLmail so I'm sorry if it gets double
posted.

Lately, when I start one of my pcs, I get this message;
Pri Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad Backup and Replace
Press f1 to resume.
I press f1 and continue with no problems.

I have noticed in the past that there is an "enable/Disable" option in
the "bios" settings but not knowing anything about S.M.A.R.T., I
haven't messed with it. Is there a chance the warning could be wrong?
I hope so since my Primary HD is a WD 10,000rpm which I can't afford
to replace unless I do so with a cheaper drive. The 2nd drive is an
older WD 60 gig that, since problem started, doesn't even show up in
My Computer.

I haven't experienced any major problems with this pc but lately while
sitting idle, I've noticed an occasional sound similar to a thermal
cut-off switch turning off and back on. I assumed it was the fan
regulator changing speeds but this warning has me second-guessing that
asumption.

The only time this pc has been connected to the internet was when I
first activated windows (xp home) and any software or other media I
insert is checked first with AV software on another machine.

I have the HD in a cooler box that fits a drive slot. It's a dual fan
gizmo with LED read-out that alternates between CPU and HD
temperatures which usually run about 83 and 88 degrees. I'm not sure
which reading represents which component but these temps have been
pretty consistant since it was built.

The only major change I've made is to add a second HD for video and
music files. I did that a couple months ago and the warning just
started in the last few days.

One other problem I've had (which I posted here but never really
resolved) is an occasional freeze-up of movie DVDs which requires a
reboot but even this hasn't happened in a month or two.

The pc is using a Soyo mobo, P-4 3.2 hyper-thread and 2 gig ram.
primary HD is sata and 2nd HD is on the ribbon cable with my dvd
drive.

Is there any hope for this HD or shall I play a durge and commit it to
the briney deep?

-Phil-

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml