From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:24:22 -0600
Michael Gray wrote:

> I've since decided to invest in a CD-RW which has it's own quirks under NT.
> I haven't figured out whether it's the CD or the Adaptec software yet, but
> trying to copy files to a formatted CD with Adaptec's DirectCD software
> always gives me a CD that reports a 'unknown format' error (the same
> software works fine under Win98.) I've only used TDK CD-Rs so far (don't
> want to destroy a more expensive CD-RW disk.)

If you browse the Adaptec CDR mailing list, (front door and archives at
http://listserv.adaptec.com), you'll see quite a few reports of problems
with DirectCD and it's fragile UDF file system. The general consensus
seems to be that packet writing in general is not quite ready for prime
time, although I'm sure there are those who have it working reliably. As
for destroying an expensive CD-RW disk by testing, I don't think that's
likely. If you don't like the results, just erase it and start over. The
biggest drawback is that it can be time consuming.

Jeff Delzer

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html