From:
Michael Eisenstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:28:31 -0600
I am trying to decide between these 2 motherboards in
which I plan to run a Celeron 300A overclocked to 450Mhz.

PCXchange is offering this CPU, OEM or Retail, pretested
by them on a BH6 mb and guaranteed to run at between 2.0
and 2.2V.  They describe the Retail version as follows:

Intel Celeron 300A w/128KB Cache Retail Box, 3-Year Factory
 Warranty, Heatsink/Fan Stepping SL2WM, 2.0v Mendocino Core,
 Multiplier Locked at 4.5X, Slot-1 Tested Retail 300A's are
 Stepping SL32A, Batch: 98421446, Pack Date 11/03/98.

Why there would be 2 stepping numbers listed here is not
immediately obvious to me since I do not understand what
"stepping" means in this context.  Can someone please help
me out on this term?

I am also thinking of buying a 128MB Micron PC100 8E Series
168 Pin DIMM CAS-Latency 2, 8ns, 16x64, Gold Leads from
them.  Is this the same as PC100-certified SPD SDRAM?  And
is Micron a good choice or is there another more preferable
brand?

I should also mention PCXhange's interesting offer of
Celeron 300A's which have failed their 450Mhz burn-in
tests but which run fine at 300Mhz (for only $55).  They
also offer untested 300A's (for $67)!

I realize that I have been asking a lot of questions of the
experts on this list and I am very thankful for the generous
help I have already received.

TIA

Michael Eisenstadt

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html