From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 23:17:42 -0500
>I want to upgrade my Video Card (currently a StealthIII S540 32mgs PCI) to
an AGP card and I
>want to make sure that it will be compatable with SMAC (a turn based
strategy game which runs
>under DirectX 6.1 ).  I dont play any 1st person shooters.  Any
suggestions?  I hear that
>diamond's cards are kinda mediocre.  I dont have any thing to do with video
either so that isnt >a concern, ( as far as TV outputs & DVD ).  I'd like to
keep it around $150- 200 if possible.
>Ive tried to read the articles at Toms Hardware but the only thing I think
I understood was that >some cards are better with direct X than others?  My
system is Asus P3V133 motherboard, 128mgs
>pc133 ram, PIII 667.

    I'd suggest an ATI or Riva-based card. For $100 and You can probably get
a 32 MB card that will give you the improved performance of AGP technology.
To really blitz you might consider an NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS-based card, but
those may be a bit out of your price range. I'd also suggest a RAM upgrade
(about $150 for another 128 MB). Bumping your system to 256 MB of RAM would
be preferable in my opinion to upgrading your video card. The 32 MB PCI card
you have isn't shabby.

Later,

Russell Smith
http://www.rustysmith.com