Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 20:18:35 -0800
Peterson,Timothy J wrote:

> The system is a 80486 DX2/66, 24 megs memory, running Win95 OSR2.  There
> is a  single on board IDE connector.  HD is a  240 meg Samsung connected
> as master with a Mitsumi CD-Rom as slave.  Because of a fan failure in
> the 230W power supply, I replaced it with a similar 230W unit labeled as
> a "PS/2 generic".  It had the same form factor and connections as the
> original with the exception of a single two wire connector, possibly for
> an LED or the cpu fan, which I did not connect,  and a chasis ground
> wire, which I connected
>
> Following the power supply transplant, got a disk error on the boot,
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions will be welcomed.  Is the power supply the
> culprit?  Is the MB wrecked?  By the way, the ps fan works fine.
>
> Tim:

My thought is that yes your new power supply is defective. Check the
2 voltage outputs going into the mobo from the power supply with a
meter. If they are present then check the voltage input to each device
for the correct required voltages. If these are normal and you are still
unable to get device recognition then swap out the power supply for
another known good one. This should give you the answer you seek.
--
Barry A. Clark