From:
Angus Macdonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:15:19 +0100
Here's an odd one. Between work and home I have three PCs. Until recently
they were all running Win95 OSR2. I have a 4.3GB HDD which I transfer
between work and home for large files etc. Up 'til recently, no problem
whatsoever.

Last week, I installed Win98 SE on one of my home computers and now I have
trouble reading files I save at work on the portable HDD. When I take it
home and try to open the files, they are often corrupted, ie setup programs
crash, zip files are corrupted and so on. If I put the portable HDD in my
second home PC ( running Win95 ) everything is fine and I can read the files
either across the network or directly on the second PC. Files I save on the
Win98 machine can be read on any of the other two. I tried putting my
previous Win95 HDD ( I kept a backup of the original installation ) back
into the win98 PC and the files read perfectly so it seems to be something
connected with Win98.

Has anyone else met this? Is there some subtle difference between FAT32 on
Win95 & 98. I tried setting the portable drive up as two FAT16 partitions,
but that didn't help. I've reached the end of my thought process. Help.

Angus

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org