From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 00:54:13 -0600
> Susan Hays wrote:
>
> > Are you telling me that even though I have a 56K modem, I could maybe set it
> > for 115,200, and I could get maybe, just maybe a faster speed?

No.  To clarify, you will NEVER get speeds faster than 56K with a
56K/.V90 modem.  In fact, you won't get connections faster than 53K due
to government regulations.  Even "shotgun" modem solutions involve two
modems and two phone lines combined to get up to 106k (2 x 53K) speed.
What it means is that by setting your modem to computer speed to 115,200
bps that you can get the fastest possible transfer allowed by your
hardware and software between your computer and modem.  That number is
not linked to the speed of the connection over the phone line.  If you
set your computer to modem connection speed lower than this, it may slow
the transfer rated down if (and you probably are) using compression with
your modem.  HTH

--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html