From:
"Dave@MonroeCommunity" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:02:35 -0400
I dont know how other brands work but on a Dell You can install Windows XP
without providing a Product ID Code. That is the part regarding the mother
board. My guess would be somewhere in the bios that you cant see but im not
sire on that.

Now if you take the same WinXP Install CD and go to a non Dell machine it
will ask for the Product ID Code for Activation. With that said you can take
the Product ID from the Dell and the WinXP CD from the Dell and install WIN
XP on a non Dell Machine Using the Dell Product ID Code. If you run The Same
Product ID code on Two Machines Microsoft catches the Illegal  machine when
it downloads and runs it's Malicious Software Removal Tool. On Win 7 Windows
outright tells you it is checking for a legal version of Windows. Dont know
about Vista as I never have messed with it.
I offered Bruce a legal Win XP Product ID code that is not running on any
machine anymore. The machine it was on is dead and he has not responded.

Dave

--
*

Forgive Everyone Everything.