From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:30:53 -0400
Since you are unable to run MemTest successfully, which is run off a floppy
prior to loading windows, I think that we are looking at a hardware problem,
though it could also be a low level setting, such as with the BIOS or a
motherboard jumper.  Since substituting known good RAM doesn't help, I'd
check the manual for any jumpers on the motherboard and make sure that they
are set properly.  Then, I would go through the BIOS carefully and make sure
that things like the memory timings are correct.  Maybe even try some more
relaxed memory timings, if this is available, to see if it helps.  Once
you've eliminated those possibilities, there's not much else other than
processor and motherboard to try swapping out and seeing what happens.

By the way, you said that MemTest freezes at the 56% point.  MemTest
consists of a number of subtests that it runs through.  The 56% point that
you mentioned, is this for the total pass through the 7 subtests?  If so,
what sub-test is it trying to run when it freezes?  Some of the memtests
subtests make use of memory cache integrated into the processor and some
don't.  If you can pass subtests in which the cache is disabled, but lock up
on those that use the cache, perhaps we are looking at a problem with your
processor.  Does your BIOS give you a temp reading on the processor?  (Just
in case the heatsink is not on fully.)

John