From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:07:19 -0400
The best and cheapest(?) way to do this is to run a CAT3 wire out for any regular phone
you may want to have, and run a CAT5E ("inside/outside" cable type) for the computer.
Skip wireless until they (and you) secure it better...

Since you already have a router, the computer will just plug into that.
You "can" run a CAT5E feed out there and have a hub/switch there... (Below.)

I actually use multiple routers/hubs.
I have a SINGLE DSL modem. The Broadband router controls the connection, and it is
also a 4 port switch.
That feeds one to three computers and uplinks to a hub. I can feed another three
computers with that.  I back feed the hub through the uplink port and shut down
any computers connected there by flipping the uplink switch...
(I hate it when my computer goes looking for stuff on the Internet on it's own...)

                                                    Rick Glazier

From: "srs" <[log in to unmask]>
> Hello all.  I have had dsl hookup with small telephone coop for 3 1/2 years.  I recently built an office outside of my house.  I
> had the cable run out to the building.  they are telling me I have to run a Cat 5 cable from my router/hub out to the new
> building.  Why can't I get another router/hub and connect it the same way as I have this one?  Anyone had any experience in this
> field?  I currently have a Netopia router/hub with 8 ports and only 3 are being used.  Wireless is out of the question as the new
> structure is made of metal.  Thank you for any assistance on this subject.   Stephen R Stanfield

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml