From:
Diane Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:35:10 -0800
Hello,

Apologies for my silence.  I'm so appreciative for this list
and all the help I'm getting from you folks!  I'm learning so much!

>After checking to verify that your flat ribbon cables are routed from the
>correct
>location on the mother board to the correct devices (Primary IDE to hard
>disk
>with the red or blue or colored or striped wire located at pin 1 on the
>board
>and at the drive), and that the power plugs are firmly inserted, go into
>the
>BIOS settings and hit enter with the Primary IDE line highlighted.

Followed the ribbons and had to exchange the ones to and from the MB-HD
and MB-CDROM with each other.  Upon restart, I now get the additional
information of ATAPI CDROM [CD-ROM CDU701], which wasn't listed on the
first screen prior to this ribbon exchange.  There is still no mention of
the
harddrive.  Is that sequence of information on the screen called the POST?

The light on the front of the box lights up when I turn the machine on.  I
still
get "No Operating System found" .

In essence, there's some progress in that the ATAPI whatsit is listed.

I have yet another even older computer here that works.  Should I venture a
hard drive swap out?  (sheesh...I'll need a pith helmet for _that_
odyssey!)

Thanks,
Diane

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: