From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 11:45:48 -0400
Bob,

DOS does not have the capability of "seeing" a CD on it's own.
There are two files that you need to install.
First, you need MSCDEX.EXE (a DOS file) in the autoexec.bat file.
At the minimum, this statement should contain:
           X:\path\MSCDEX /D:cd-name /L:cd-letter
X:\path = your choice
cd-name MUST match the name used in the config.sys statement (see below)
cd-letter can be any drive letter above the existing hard disk letters (I
usually set up systems with the CD as drive J: which places it high enough
that it won't move when extra drives and/or partitions are added)

Second, you need to install the CD-ROM's driver (from the Creative setup
disks) into a DEVICE= statement in config.sys.  You should refer to the
documentation that came with the sound card for the exact parameters for
this.

Once Windows is installed, it should load it's own driver for the CD and
at that point, the DOS driver set will no longer be needed.

If you do not have the disks, there is a "universal" CD driver which may
work for you.  Roxanne Pierce has uploaded it to the NOSPIN web site.
(There are lots of other handy tools on the site so you might want to poke
around while you are there.)  Or you can go to Creative's web site and
download the driver for your system.  The URL (for Australia)  is:
http://www.creative-asia.com/support/

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====