From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 14:18:47 -0800
On 5 Apr 99, at 10:08, victor patman wrote:

>   I was told by a serious gamer that the ultimate gaming PC was one
> as far as video goes, is a Diamond Viper 550 with two Diamond Monster
> II 3D Accellerators. Will all of these work together? Or is this
> person blowing smoke up my *&%&^$%^&%$.

  Some ga,es are going to use the 2D acceleration on the V550.  Some will
use the 3D acceleration on the V550.  And some will use the 3D acceleration
on the MIIs, linked (SLI) to interleave screen scan lines.  [Most 3D
games us Direct3D *OR* OpenGL; I believe the V550 excels at one and the
MII at the other.

> ... I don't really see a difference with the games I am playing.
> Which are Sin, Diablo, Rainbow Six, Unreal and Halflife.

  One possibility is that these all use the V550, and ignore the MII.
[Lesson:  Hardware requirements are dictated by the software you actually
run.  If none of your games uses the MII, you won't see a change when it's
installed.]  Another possibility is that a single MII isn't noticably
faster than the V550; he did specify two of them, after all.  But since
they don't provide 2D, you'd still need a 2D card, and one that does fast
2D and the other *kind* of 3D is a reasonable recommendation.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html