From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 17:40:41 -0700
Hi,

Having built many systems myself, I have seen this type of thing more than
once.

There could be a number of reasons why you are not seeing anything on the
monitor. The fact is, most of the system  must be working properly in order
to see anything on the video card. The CPU must be running, the memory must
be good, etc.

Do you have the PC speaker hooked up? If not, hook it up. Are there any
beeps from it? If so, these are a BIOS specific code, that can help identify
the problem.

One of the most common things when a new MB is put in is to make sure that
you have nothing shorting the MB to ground. Make sure there are no metal
standoffs in the case that aren't lined up with a moutning hole in the MB.
If the old MB used different mounting holes, you may need to relocate the
standoffs.

Once you have verifed that the standoffs seem OK, then there is a standard
troubleshooting procedure all us builders go through. The first is to strip
out EVERYTHING (at least disconnect it) except for the video card, memory,
and CPU. This is enough to see if the CPU can initialize the video card and
display the POST (Power On Self Test) banner. If not, then you need to try
reseating the CPU and memory in their sockets. If still no joy, and you
don't get any beeps from the PC speaker, then the most likely culprit is a
bad CPU.

If you get video, then start adding the peripherals one by one (disk, CD/DVD
drives, etc) and turning it on to see if it is still responding until you
get everyhting back together.

HTH,

Russ Poffenberger