From:
Vincent Winterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:38:26 -0400
Thanks everyone for the ideas.

The power up issue was resolved by not understanding how the Antec case
powers itself up. What was happening was that it would turn on for about 3
seconds and then shut down. After checking and re-checking everything
including removing the board and starting over, I decided to try the power
button on the front of the case while the back power button was in the on
position. Voila, it fired right up.

I noted the lights on the board and they gave valuable info as I looked over
the bios and changed some basic settings.

Then Antec case seems to have plenty of ventilation. Power supply fan, large
rear fan and fan on the heatsink. So far no signs of coming any way close to
overheating.

I have to hand it to Athlon for making the cpu / heatsink / fan install
virtually errorless. They have downloadable manuals and instructional videos
for gosh sakes! What a dream. I really thought I had a fair idea going in
what to do.

The memory is solid. I found it at Crucial and matched it specifically to
the board. Memory self-test verifies all is well there.

Anyway, WinXP Pro is installed. It's running well. Now, the remaining
problem I am trying to run down is to fix the power off / shut down
procedure. It may take a reg tweak (I've found a couple) or it may be an
older board. But at $14 for the board I don't think I'll feel inconvenienced
if I have to hit the power button to turn the new machine off.

Again, my thanks to everyone for their help. It is much appreciated.

Regards

Vince