From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:19:18 -0500
Hi,

If you purchased this as a new system from tiger direct I would think a
restore disk, or copy of win ME OEM
would of come with it.  Does it have the COA attached to the system cabinet?
I would be on the phone to tiger direct and get it resolved with them and if
not to my satisfaction, then to MS.  It may even be possible that there are
images on the hard drive, that you had to make floppies or CD's from.  The
support at TD should be able to advise you if there were.

If you purchased as a used or refurb system, then you may of not gotten a
CD.  You would have to read the original
advertising carefully.  Again, I would try and pressure customer service at
TD to get this resolved for you with CC to MS.

If you are going to buy any software, don't by ME, unless you can find it at
a yard sale of flea market for under $10.00.  Step up to win 2000 pro, XP
pro or very least XP home.  If you can purchase an OEM copy from a reliable
independent shop,
it would be about 1/2 the price of a retail package at Staples, OM, or OD.
If you go for the upgrade pkg, don't do the upgrade.  Backup all important
files to a removable source, and do a clean install wiping out the ME
partition.  Otherwise
problems may continue into the new OS.

the three OS I mentioned should all boot off the CD.  You may have to go
into the BIOS to set the system to do so.

Good Luck!

Joe Lore

I have a Wintergreen Systems computer running WindowsME 4.9 which is having
problems.  This computer was purchased at Tiger DIrect with 240 MB Ram, 20
GB HD with 12.6 open.  My problem is that this system has never run properly
and needs to be reloaded, however I did not receive any software with it. I
have made a startup disc from the software. Question is:  can I purchase a
copy of WINME and use it to reload this machine and do I use the startup
disc that I created?  Or, if I bought, can I put WinXp on the machine using
the same start up disc?  Thanks for any help I can get.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>