From:
Ian Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 19:30:13 +1200
This is normal after a BIOS reset.  Either hit F1 and go into the BIOS and
set it up the way it was before, or hit F2 and accept the default settings.
If you're not too sure what you're doing - F2 is your choice.
If you're prepared to adjust the BIOS settings, the first page will offer a
blanket choice of either safe settings (slow and steady) or the fastest
(possibly unstable, depending on your hardware) Or, you can go through the
100 or more settings individually.
Don't be too concerned about changing settings in the BIOS, have a fiddle
about and see what options are available for each, it's a good way to learn.
Any changes you make will only be saved, and effective, if you SAVE on exit.
So if you think you've made any mistakes, DON'T save on exit.
BTW, taking out the battery for more than a few minutes will usually get you
the same prompt.  It has the same effect as resetting the BIOS settings with
the CMOS jumpers on the motherboard.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "Bharat Ale" Subject: [PCBUILD] CMOS settings not retained

PCBUILD Digest - 30 Aug 2002 to 31 Aug 2002 (#2002-244)Hi,

The computer was reporting 'CMOS settings wrong, press F1 to go to setup F2
to load default values and continue'. I thought the battery was weak or dead
so I replaced with a new one and ran setup to configure BIOS settings and
saved. But I'm getting the same message every time I turn on the computer.
What could be wrong ?

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml