From:
Kevin Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 17:33:10 +1200
I remember seeing some discussion about the above; - thought I'd filed
the definitive answer somewhere, - and of course, can't find it again.
A Google search suggests that the manufacturers are/were blaming each
other !

My problem started this morning when trying to install a Soundblaster
Live Value PCI card on my ASUS A7V mobo with the VIA KT177a Chipset.

As a newbie, I missed the warning of problems, at first. The set-up
screen flashed by at the nearspeed of light, and despite my misgivings
and lack of experience, - thought that the install CD might fix any
problems.   Sadly not! - Windoze 98SE kept asking to reboot.

Many reboots later, I came to the conclusion that my soundcard was not
recognised in BIOS.
I've tried to solve the problem myself, and the best I've found is on
the Viahardware site where I found .....

                     Other Drivers
                     686B Bug Fix

                      1.0 - VIA's fix for KT133/A systems with
Soundblaster Live sound cards.
                      Should clear up any file corruption problems that
may occur with the 686B
                      southbridge.

Your experience and/or comments about all this will be much apppreciated
by self, - and others in the future, I'm sure.
( PS:  The word, ' Should'  - worrys me a bit)

Kev.
New Zealand.