From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 15:26:05 -0800
On 1 Oct 99, at 13:33, Kansara Mahendra wrote:

> I have just purchased one dell computer with buil-in iomega zip
> drive of 100 mb. I am also using iomega external drive of 250 mb
> and have some data saved from other computers which i want to read
> and copy on my new computer but this one does not recognize the
> external parallell drive of 250 mb. Is there a way to recognize my
> external drive all keeping the built-in drive untouched.
> (assigning a new drive letter at least temporaryly)

  I assume that the problem is likely that Iomega's driver software
isn't prepared to deal with a system that has more than one Zip drive
installed.  So you need a way to temporarily disable the internal
drive in order to access the external.

  The simplest and most general way I can think of to do this is to
open up the machine (it won't bite...) and temporarily unplug the
small white power connector from the back of the drive.  This could
be kind of stiff -- wiggling it back and forth a little may help.
  You haven't told us whether the internal drive is IDE or SCSI; if
it's IDE, then depending on how your internal drives are connected,
you may be able to disable the IDE/EIDE channel that the Zip is on
through the CMOS setup.  This doesn't require opening the machine,
but won't be acceptible if the hard drive is on that channel...

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html