From:
Sergio Nemirovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 12:25:44 -0300
Gary:

    Try to change the modem and see what happen...If you can,  get an
EXTERNAL modem to test the line....
or, check the modem web site for new drivers or the troubleshooting
section...maybe there is a "power level" register somewhere...

HTH

Sergio

I have a 300Mhz Pentium II Packard Bell running Windows 98 SE. Since about 5
days ago, when I try to get on the Internet the modem dials and tries to
connect but it will not fully connect. Sometimes it gets as far as looking
for password but then it says you have been disconnected from the computer
you dialed. Most of the time it doesn't even connect. I thought lightning so
I bought another modem and installed it. It does the same thing. I tried it
in a different PCI slot and it does the same thing. When I tell it to dial
the sound coming from it is pulsating. The dial tone is no longer loud and
continuous. It sounds scratchy and when it is trying to connect the
connection sounds are also pulsating and scratchy.

So far besides another modem I tried switching the phone cable from a
splitter to computer. I tried switching the two cables that come out of the
splitter. The splitter goes to this computer and another computer. The other
one connects and works well from either splitter recepticle. Any ideas would
be greatly appreciated.

Gary South