From:
Bob Weekley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:53:26 -0500
I just built an AMD 800 T-Bird W/ a DFI Mother board and it runs smooth as
silk with no overheating.......
You don't mention what kind of heatsink or fan you are using.... That could
be the problem..
On the other hand, You could have gotten a defective Processor from AMD...
If you are using proper cooling (Heatsink and Fan) and the fan is running
ok, My guess is that the problem is with the Mother Board...

The Mother Board supplies the power to the Processor and as fast as you say
it happened,
I would think that It has to be the Motherboard...   You say it was set to
auto.. Does Auto detect the Processor speed and Frontside Bus speed?
A faulty "Jumper" could cause this.. A "spiking" Power supply could also
cause this..

I would check with  Chaintech Tech support for help. (The AMD 800 should
overclock up to around 1GB). I have built several AMD 800s with different
Motherboards and they all have performed to perfection..
Bob..