From:
m_sayer_ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:04:49 -0000
Hi, you don't say what cpu or m/b you've got at the moment, so I can't say
whether you could install a faster cpu.
Personally, in the past, I have bought second hand m/b's and cpu's very
cheaply on e-bay and places like that. I've found it ideal at times when I
haven't got the money to buy new. Often, I have come across systems which
just can't take a faster cpu, so it's had to be a change of m/b too.
Most times, you can salvage all the other hardware, including the case. (not
sure about hp though, I know Dell are a pest to reuse the case, or they have
been for me, anyway)
I've even bought second hand ram too, which has been quite cheap.
It may be even possible to find a cheap m/b, complete with cpu and ram
already installed, as I have done in the past.  If the case can't be
salvaged, it's possible to get second hand cases quite cheaply also.
(I often visit my local recycling depot for stuff like that, and I've picked
things up for not much more than pennies.)
Obviously, it depends how fast a processor you want, and I'm not sure of the
speed of hp pavilion, but bear in mind that ram will have an impact on the
speed also.
So without a reasonable amount of ram, you're still going to be running
slower than you should.
Some people just won't buy second hand, but I have quite often, and I find
that alot of the time, the only reason that people are selling the items is
because they're upgrading to something newer and faster.
Maybe something worth thinking about.
Michele Sayer

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com