Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:35:43 -0800
John wrote:
>I'm installing a new motherboard and when I try to load win98 I get the
>following message after the second or third restart:
>While initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error.

This is a known issue with Microsoft and you can contact them for a fix. For
whatever reason, Windows 98 doesn't run right with a CPU larger than, 2.2GHz
as indicated by the following and I quote;

SYMPTOMS
When you are installing Windows 95 or Windows 98 on a computer that has a
CPU that runs at 2.2 gigahertz (GHz) or faster, you may receive the
following error message:
While initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error

CAUSE
The timing calibration code in the Network Driver Interface Specification
(NDIS) driver causes a divide by zero if the CPU runs at 2.2 GHz or faster.
This problem does not occur with CPUs that run at 2.1 GHz or slower.

RESOLUTION
Windows 98
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to
correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to
computers that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to
obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services
phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following
Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS
NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support
calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a
specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will
apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the
specific update in question.

You may pick up this article at the Microsoft Knowledgebase located at;
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=312108

Does your board have the latest BIOS installed? This may be the first thing
I would look into and if you still have problems, then contact Microsoft.
The latest Bios for your board is; BF86510A.86A.0069.P21 If you have an
earlier version you may want to upgrade it.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                     visit our download web page at: