From:
Gary Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 21:15:42 -0500
Herbert,

>         I just went in a similar direction with my broadband connection.
> I went
>from my main computer set up as a proxy to a router. I must say I am very
>happy with the decision. With the router I don't have to worry about
>knocking my brother offline when I decide to reboot.

That's another consideration as well.  The Celeron needs to be powered up
in order for the Internet to run on the other machine.  I figured the
router would also eliminate that need.  With respect to the speed, have you
noticed a significant difference?

>         Now for the twist: I paid nothing for my router! If you have a spare
>computer lying around I recommend you consider going for a Linux based
>router. Before you start running there is something called the "Linux Router
>Project", it is based on the idea that an older computer (386, 486) is
>perfect for routing, and all you need is a floppy drive and two network
>cards (cheapos are fine).

I'm not running yet but I do have my sneakers close at hand <grin>.  I'll
have a peek at this idea as my curiosity has been itching to play with
Linux on the old 486 just for the fun of it.  There are *TONS* of 486's on
the local buy & sell NG and at $25.00 it sure is cheaper than the router at
$240.00 (Canadian).  I'll do some surfing about that tomorrow.  Mind if I
e-mail you privately if I need a hand?  I'm at [log in to unmask]

Thanks

Gary