From:
Kevin Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:41:57 +1200
My original about the above subject seems to have been lost in
cyberspace.
Our friend, Jun Quian (Ultra) was the only one to reply, but probably
because we both live in the Asia region. Those of you in America and
Europe may have missed it, - and despite the usual moderation of our
List.
Here is my original post about the topic, .......

" I remember seeing some discussion about the above; - thought I'd filed

the definitive answer somewhere, - and of course, can't find it again.
A Google search suggests that the manufacturers are/were blaming each
other !
My problem started this morning when trying to install a Soundblaster
Live Value PCI card on my ASUS A7V mobo with the VIA KT177a Chipset.
As a newbie, I missed the warning of problems, at first. The set-up
screen flashed by at the nearspeed of light, and despite my misgivings
and lack of experience, - thought that the install CD might fix any
problems.   Sadly not! - Windoze 98SE kept asking to reboot.

Many reboots later, I came to the conclusion that my soundcard was not
recognised in BIOS.
I've tried to solve the problem myself, and the best I've found is on
the Viahardware site where I found .....
                     Other Drivers
                     686B Bug Fix
                      1.0 - VIA's fix for KT133/A systems with
Soundblaster Live sound cards.
                      Should clear up any file corruption problems that
may occur with the 686B
                      southbridge.)

Your experience and/or comments about all this will be much apppreciated

by self, - and others in the future, I'm sure.
( PS:  The word, ' Should'  - worrys me a bit)

: - End of previous quote.

Since those few days ago, I've learned a lot, but not really enough to
help others like me, building their own.
The problem seems to be in the adaption of the ATA100 bus,
- there seems to be no common standard.
- third party drivers claim to resolve the issue.(NOT)
- I still don't know how to get my SBLive soundcard to work with my VIA
chipset.

Kev.
New Zealand.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: