From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:16:07 -0800
On 15 Nov 98 at 20:43, Philippe J Beaulieu wrote:

> THE reason win3.1 and 56k dont work is among other reasons, a very
> slow uart chip in the computer.

  The problem isn't that Win 3.x requires a slow UART -- it's that
its default serial port driver doesn't enable the FIFO buffer in more
advanced UART chips.  There used to be a whole bunch of 3rd-party,
shareware, and freeware alternate serial drivers for 3.x to fix this;
I have no idea whether they can still be found.

David G

  [The problem that the FIFO fixes isn't with the raw data rate, but
with the time it may take for Windows to switch contexts to "collect"
an arrived character before the next one shows up.  You could think
of the FIFO as buying some reaction time, relaxing the minimum
latency requirement at higher transmission speeds.]

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html