From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:32:21 -0800
It goes without saying, that right of the bat,  a 133 MHz Bus speed gives
the PIII a little edge over the newer 100 Mhz Celeron.
However there a still a lot of PIIIs that run on a 100 Mhz Bus and they
won't benefit from a 133 Bus performance increase.

The two Intel processors are quite similar because are both based on
the  same core. However their differences grow out of their L2 cache
configuration. The Pentium III makes use of a 512KB  L2 cache located off
the processor operating at 1/2 of the clock speed of
the CPU while the Celeron includes an integrated 128KB L2 cache running at
the clock speed of the CPU.

The argument has been, which kind of cache is faster, and whether a larger
but slower L2 cache is better than a small but faster L2 cache. This will
depend on what kind of programs you want to run. If the data fits in the
smaller cache then it will run faster, but if it has to move it to system
RAM then it will be significantly slowed down.
For normal business applications you won't notice any difference. Busy
servers, data base applications, some analytical programs,  anything  that
can benefit from the larger L2 cache will show an improvement. Most
workstation users won't notice a difference.

The third advantage the PIII has over the Celeron, is Intel supported
native dual processor support.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>Reading the intel genuine  respective boxes of a  PIII 1A ghz and a Celeron
>1A ghz, I dont get any difference but the system bus: 133 mhz the PIII and
>100 mhz the Celeron.
>However the prices are not near at all.
>Any other difference I did not notice?
>TIA