From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:07:44 -0400
Hi Ian,

As I understand it,

        1. You install your copy of XP using the 25 (5 x 5) digit string
of characters that comes with the CD.  I assume this string is the
'Product Key'?

Yes - this is a unique key that is issued per XP "package"

        2. After the installation is complete, you have 30 days to
'activate' your install of XP, otherwise your system may become
unusable.

NO, it does not become unstable.  It just doesn't come on.  You get a
notice to phone in for activation.  The system will not boot up.

You don't have to register, you do have to activate with exceptions.
Some OEM, Tier1, manufacturers do the activation for you prior to
shipping systems to the channel.  That and Corporate licensing are
exempt from activation.

        3. Once you decide to 'activate', you have 2 choices.
(a) Activate by phone (in which case I understand you get to talk to a
live operator) or....
(b) Activate over the net, as I did, so I'll only refer to that mode
from here on.

Yes, if notified to activate it is required to do so.  The phone way
takes no more than 5 minutes.  Internet less than 1 min.

        4. In either case, once your system realises what you intend to
do, it examines your hardware, and your 'Product Key', and it creates a
unique 8-byte number, called a 'hardware hash', which it supplies to
Microsoft.

Yes, this registers the componets for your system with MS.  Originally,
only so many components could be changed, depending which version of XP
was used, with out having to call in to MS and "explain" why.  I have
been told this is changed.

        5. I understand that, all going well, the Microsoft server pats
your computer on the head and blesses it.

Yes, but without the use of Holy Water!

        6. I also understand that this process is anonymous, and that
once the blessing has taken place, the Microsoft robot discards the
information (well, Microsoft would like us to think so, anyway)

Only "anonymous" if you do not "register".

Personally, I don't believe that MS discards any info.  But I have heard
that you can,
after 120 days use the Product Key again.  Reason that they changed it
is that people were complaining loudly (ie. John Davorak) about the
activation issues and the fact that if you are constantly upgrading
hardware, as some do, it was very annoying.  XP is really unforgiving.

For instance, change a mainboard and use a different chipset than what
you had, XP chokes and you really have to reinstall XP anyway to
continue.  I have not tested this 120 day thing, but a very good friend
of mine informed me of it just yesterday after he did a lot of research
on the web about it.

        So far, so good.  But here's where I start to lose the plot.  If
the 25 digit string is the 'Product Key', what is the 'Product ID'?

Product ID, I believe is the number generated, that you see when you go
to the control panel, system, devices main screen, that lists the user's
name and type of CPU the system is running.

        And why would Microsoft provide the means to change the Product
ID?  See here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q328874#2

Maybe for those that use a disk coping software to load systems?

        Another profound mystery is this: I can see how the 25 digit
string of characters supplied ON THE LABEL with your CD can be unique,
but I can't see how the CD itself is unique, or contains a unique
number.  Surely these CD's are stamped in large numbers from glass
masters?

The cd is not unique, the number only is unique.  The number that comes
with XP Pro OEM, SP1,
Can be used with any other cd that is XP Pro Oem, SP1.  It would not
work with the Retail version CD for instance.  The OEM CD generates a
product ID with -OEM- in it and the Retail one does not.

Thanks, and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml