From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 10:37:24 EDT
       Jun Qian replied to a pevious post from Robert Citkowitz regarding USB
and Firewire. I tend to disagree with Juns' take on USB not being able to
sustain a high transfer rate for data. USB recognizes four types of data
transfer divided by the peripherals that use them: bulk, interrupt,
asynchronous, and control. Depending on the type of device used in
connecting, your data transfer speed will vary. USB also has the advantage of
being plug and play friendly and has the ability to be able to "daisy chain"
more than a hundred compatible devices. A lot also depends on whether or not
your current motherboard has Firewire or USB ( either 1.1 or 2.0 ) built on
to it or you will be adding in a PCI card. If it's the latter, your transfer
speeds will be limited to the bandwidth on the PCI bus which is 33Mhz.

Another post from David Gillette to Jon Loc referred to a comment about slow
modem speed. It is possible to at least obtain a new line from the street to
the NID on the house but it may take a while. The squeaky wheel will get the
grease eventually. Also, DSL is only available to customers within a certain
distance from the CO and if you are too far away, you won't get it. Also
check the conditions of the house wiring including all the connections. Clean
connections and intact wiring can squeeze out a little more performance,
although you can only get so much out of twisted pair wiring.

Ehsan Shams wrote,   " I turn my computer on and wait till the windows is
getting started =
but as soon as it tries to show my desktop it does nothing but showing a =
complete black screen..."
If you can get the screen to come up in safe mode you may have a video driver
problem. Check in your device manager for conflicts. Also try using the
generic video adapter provided by Win98 to see if that helps. That is what is
used when boot up is in safe mode. Hope this helps.

Chris Ryan