From:
Irena Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:44:18 -0500
Hello all;

IBM Thinkpad 1400 i-series with win98 (first edition) OS. Prints OK from
DOS window. However, cannot print (even to file) from windows.

The installation of a new printer (HP LJ5P, HP LJ5L, GenericText) goes all
right until the point when test printing is to start. The message appears:
"windows unable to print test page. Start troubleshooting now?".

The printer is connected through parallel port, but the same message
appears when it is directed to print "to file". We are installing a new
printer driver only after uninstalling the former one and removing all HP*
files from c:\windows and c:\windows\system.

The "print" option in Notepad is grayed out. When choosing "page
setup/printer" in Notepad, the message is "no printer found", although
there is a printer icon marked as a default printer. The printer icon is
not greyed out after installation, but becomes one after we try to print a
test page. We tried a few different printers. Tried to print in safe mode
and with minimum devices (disabled through msconfig). Same error message
on test page printing or print grayed out in Notepad.

Parallel port is enabled in CMOS (was previously disabled). Choosing
Standard or ECP mode does not make a difference. (Haven't tried bi-di,
the only third option).

The port shows no conflicts in device manager. We removed (in safe mode)
the parallel port and windows detected new hardware on boot. Still, we can
print only from DOS window. Anyway, even changing the port "to file"
produces the same error message when trying to print a test page, so it
does not look like a parallel port problem.

Re-installing windows (98 upgrade CD) on top did not make any difference.

Sometime ago the laptop was infected by AOL trojan. Also, the parallel
port had been used for a portable CD Writer. Would that be harmful for a
laptop parallel port ?

Is it some memory virus lurking about that cannot be detected by the
latest F-Prot CAV ? Is it a failing port or just windows ? Is there
anything we should try before fdisk and format ?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Irena.  ([log in to unmask])

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com