From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 01:09:21 -0500
> This is probably a stupid question but here goes anyway. I have two hard
> drives in my machine plus a cd-rom drive and a cdrw drive. I have space to
> add an internal zip or jaz drive. Can I have any more IDE devices or do I
> have to get a SCSI drive and, presumably, install a SCSI card, something I
> am not particularly confident about.
>
> Dave Fitzpatrick

Yes, you can.  You will need to install an additional IDE controller.
Your system (in theory) can handle up to four IDE channels which can
accomodate two devices each for a total of eight.  You will have to have
enough available IRQs to support all of this, however.  The additional
controller must have the option to be configured as a tertiary and
possibly a quaternary channel.  I have had good results with controllers
from DTC and Promise although there are other brands.  I have had good
experiences with them.  BTW, it's not a stupid question at all.

Larry Atlow                                     [log in to unmask]
Howard Computers
Quality Assurance Administrator

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html