From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:39:57 -0400
I've usually been able to backup Outlook Express email folders by backing up
the Identities folder that holds that information.  You can see where the
email is being stored by clicking on the menu item Tools > Options >
Maintenance tab > Store Folder button > Change button (to see the full
path).  I usuallly back up the whole Identities folder; perhaps just the
specific Identities subfolder will be sufficient.  It sounds like you'll
have more than one; make sure you know which one your email is stored in.
You can then use outlook express's import feature to reinstall these
folders.  Just point the import wizard to where these backed up folders are.

I start by telling you how to back up your email, because I really think you
would do well to wipe this used drive clean.  As it is, you have no idea why
everything is running slowly.  It could be that your hardware isn't being
recognized properly by using a windows install for another machine; it could
be that there is a virus or worm installed; it could be that crumby software
has been previously installed; or it could be that the drive is defective.

If you are going to take the risk of buying and installing a used hard
drive, before you trust your data to this drive, I would recommend
downloading the diagnostic software from that drive manufacturer's website.
I would use the utility that writes zeros to the drive to clean the drive,
and then I would run the full diagnostic on the drive to make sure that it
is working properly.  Then I would partition and format.

Perhaps others feel differently, but this is my SOP for any operating system
reinstall on a machine that has been in service for awhile, and I think it
also applies to other circumstances where the drive is previously used.

John Sproule