From:
Darren Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 14:31:02 -0400
--
> I hope someone can help me with these questions.
> I've looked into HCL for NT, there are not many modems listed.

 The Hcl is the best place to start. Make sure that you use the one on
Microsoft's web site, it is more up to date than the one included with NT.
You will find it at:
http://www.microsoft.com/hwtest/hcl/

> 1) Dose that mean NT doesn't like modems?

 From what I saw on the web HCL, there seems to be quite a few modems
supported by NT.  Don't forget, NT was designed for networking, but that
also includes dial-up access with RAS (NT's dial-up server), so modems must
be supported.

> 2) what brand of modem I can trust to use it with NT4?

 Make sure that you use a reputable company that includes the NT logo on
their packaging, and more importantly drivers for NT.

> 3) Do ext modems have less trouble than int modems under NT as win98?

 From my experience, NT has problems with internal modems, only because they
are plug-and-play, PCI, or both. NT also has trouble with winmodems,
although I have seen them work with NT. I would not recommend getting a
winmodem for NT. I would recommend getting an ISA modem for NT, only because
I would use the pnpisa utility from NT to help install it. Same goes for
sound cards. Pnpisa provides limited plug-and-play to NT for ISA devices.
You can find it on the NT cd-rom (for server, it is in \DRVLIB\PNPISA)

> 4) Is Netcom a good modem (internal) for NT?

 I am not familiar with these modems.

> 5) Can anyone advise me the best modems for NT (both ext and int)?

 3com is usually a good choice for internal or external.

 The following url may also help you with installing your modem:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/ntserver/serviceware/nts40/76hqnuav3.as
p?FR=0

Hope this helps.
Darren Page