From:
Elizabeth Boston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:13:31 -0500
        Two weeks ago, I put together a "barebones" system to use for
demonstrations in a class. It has a QDI TX motherboard with a
Cyrix MX 200Mhz CPU, and S3 Trio64V2 video card. I used a new CD
drive, but it has no sound or modem installed. I used an old hard
drive and installed Windows 95...       It ran perfectly for two weeks,
never hung or crashed.

        Today, I took out the used hard drive, put in a brand new WD 3G
hard drive, ran Fdisk, formatted the drive, and proceeded to
install a brand new OEM windows 98. Everything goes fine, until
Windows 98 detects the hardware, then on the re-boot, it hangs on
the black screen that says updating files, please wait.
        I had been busy elsewhere, so it probably waited 20 minutes
before I noticed. I rebooted, and now it hung right after
"Verifying DMI pool data" shows on the screen. I can boot into
safe mode, but am not sure what to do once there...     I tried to
create a bootlog.txt, but was unable to find the file once I had
again booted into safe mode.
        Formatted and installed Win 98 two more times with the exact same
results.
        Formatted and installed Windows 95...   Works fine. Installed the
upgrade version of Windows 98, Again, it works fine. So, I don't
have a crisis, I just want to know WHY!!
        Should I assume the Windows 98 cd is bad? Something with the
motherboard or video card??

        I'm tempted to format again and install Windows 98 clean from the
upgrade disk just to see if it will work without 95 being
installed firs, but if it doesn't work, I will have to go thru the
whole process of installing 95 and then 98 again.

     Elizabeth Boston

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html