From:
Greg Purvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2007 01:14:47 -0400
Hello

I've been unable to get my computers to communicate across their LAN,
since the motherboard was changed on the Master computer.

The tech who 'fixed' the Master computer downgraded the system to 1/2
gig RAM from 1 gig, and the new motherboard is an NVIDIA
("frankenvidia") that has a built-on video 'card' which gives my machine
blurred vision; it has a built-in firewall (ActiveArmor) that slowed all
system functions by 20% before I deactivated it; and it has some sort of
*ethernet* 'capability' built in as well, which might be the reason why
I can't get my two computers to communicate anymore.
(I'll shortly be upgrading the RAM to 1-1/2 gigabytes; I don't know when
I'll be able to afford an upgrade from this Mb.  I wouldn't ask that
'tech' to fix what he already fixed...)

- The Master computer uses *XP pro*, the Slave computer uses *XP Home*.
(Before the "fix" everything worked without trouble.)

- Where the ethernet cable plugs into the Slave computer, there is a
green light, as before.  On the Master computer (with the new Mboard)
the light where the ethernet cable plugs-in is now orange, and it
doesn't flicker.  That used to be green as well.  It doesn't flicker
orange, as it might if indicating traffic, it's just orange.

- The ethernet cables plug into a *Netgear router*.  (The router and the
cables are what I used when the LAN worked)

- I know to not plug either cable into the "first" jack, which sits just
slightly away from the other plug-in jacks, in back of the router.
  Master computer's cable is plugged into the first receptacle in the
row from that solo jack, and Slave's cable is plugged next to it.

- I replaced Frankenvidia's "ActiveArmor" with *ZoneAlarm Pro*.
ZoneAlarm is the firewall software that I'd used originally.  The tech
in the shop replaced ZA with ActiveArmor, I don't know why.  I reloaded
the version of ZoneAlarm that I'd used already, but I let it update
itself.
  I'm somewhat familiar with ZoneAlarm by now, but it may be configured
incorrectly either because of the change in the system, or/and a change
in the software itself due to the updating.  In which cases it's over to
PCSoft for advice.  But my suspicions are leaning toward the motherboard
itself, perhaps in combination with the 500meg RAM.

- When the connections between computers no longer worked, I created a
new Network account for them.
  I ran the Windows XP Network setup Wizard on both machines, using the
non-Internet-Connection configuration.
  Now, when I attempt to open that Group account on the Slave computer,
I can see both the "Master" and "Slave" icons listed in the window: So
the setup Wizard seems to have created both computer's accounts
properly.  But Slave computer cannot access "Master" when I click on the
icon.
  But on Master computer's side, when I open the network group's window
I can't see "Slave" listed.  Only "Master"'s name is listed.

It seems that Slave computer can 'read into Master' from its side, but
Master computer can't read out.  That boggles me.

Based on this little bit of information, does it sound like I should be
asking about this in PCSOFT, or here in PCBUILD... or both?

--This next question, I know, is a software question, not hardware, but
maybe someone could point me to a tutorial that shows me how to REMOVE
all vestiges of existent network groups, families, and so on, because
that's something else I want to check.  I want to start from scratch
with the creation of the LAN name and LAN group.  I want to make sure
that there's no network group existing which might somehow conflict with
the new account.

Thanks very much for any help.
GP

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: