Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:22:05 -0400
I have a tech question regarding replacing the existing power supply in my Gateway E-1500SD Desktop.  Here is my situation.  I keep going through power supplies.  The latest would make it the fifth time it has been replaced.  Every time it has been replaced, it has been the same manufacturer and same model.  The computer is still under warranty; however Gateway wants me to pay to send it in to them and frankly I do not want to shell out S&H just to have them replace it with another power supply of the same make and model.  I know it isn't the surge protector because:
1. It is a UPS with a built in surge protector
2. Nothing else plugged into it has had any problems
3. An electrician checked out our home's wiring and found no problems.

Another reason I don't want to send it in is because when it was shipped to us it came with 256mb memory and I have since upgraded it. (Two power supplies went out before the upgrade)I have a feeling that the techs over at Gateway will say that me upgrading it fried the other two power supplies (the last two times a tech came out and replaced them and didn't say anything) I don't believe upgrading the memory would fry the power supply because:

1. Too much memory is not readily known for frying a power supply, maybe not allowing your computer to load.
2. Even before upgrading, I went to crucial.com and used their scanner to see what kind of memory it needed.  Then to be safe, I took the memory stick into the local computer store and got matching memory.  The upgrade was to 1gb and according to crucial and the computer tech at the store, it is upgradeable to 4gb of memory.

I was looking around for a power supply I could put in, and went to newegg first.  They have a multitude to pick from however there is no tool to tell me what kind of supply would work.  As much as I know, it is made by Delta Electronics.  That is about all I can read (the rest being in Chinese.) Is there anything I can use out there to determine what type of supply will work with no problems?

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com