From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 03:12:38 -0500
I spent a couple of frustrating hours with a Linksys wrtg45 Router that
kept dropping the connection to the network and the internet. his was my
first DSL setup, and it actually went very smoothly, but the dropped
connection was driving me mad. I later found some reviews of this router
that made me wish I'd researched it earlier. Avoid the version 5
incarnation of this router.
Thanks for the help.

Amy Ledford wrote:
> Hugh,
>
> The only thing that you may need to change in the router's interface is the connection type. Cable usually uses DHCP,

also referred to as automatic in a Linksys router, and probably others
as well. DSL, depends on the provider--some use PPPoE (Bellsouth),

  others use DHCP (Earthlink). If you are using this for DSL, I highly
recommend a DSL router, such as the 2wire, Netopia, or Westell Versalink,

  because they have the modem and router in one unit, that's at least 1
less cord! More importantly, because

  it is just one device, your connection speed, in general, will be
better. Also, most providers, cable or DSL, will not support a

third-party router.