From:
Jon Fairchild <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2010 00:37:21 +0100
Robert Lendrim wrote:
> I have a 1 TB sata drive formatted with Acronis as a single logical NTFS
> partition. I formatted it via USB using a Vista Thinkpad T60. The drive
> works fine on the Vista T60. When I connect it to an IBM ThinkCenter XP
> desktop, it is not seen. The little bell sounds indicating it is connected,
> but no notice on screen, and not seen by Explorer, Disk Management, or
> Acronis. The desktop bios is latest Jan 2008. The desktop has a
> larger internal 1.5 TB D: drive which works fine.
> Can anybody help me get this workng, or tell me why it won't work? Thank you
> very much.
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:
>                       Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
>                         Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>

Hi Robert,
The reason that you cannot see your drive with the desktop is that Vista
uses a later version of  NTFS that previous versions of Windows cannot
read.  If  you reformat the drive using your XP system you will then be
able to access it from both machines.  You may have to use your Vista
laptop to delete the partition first.

Good Luck
Jon

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads