From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 08:05:18 -0800
On Friday, March 03, 2000 6:33 PM, Mary-Belle Simmons"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Jan Lambert wrote:
>
> > In <[log in to unmask]>, on 03/03/00
> >    at 03:31 PM, Mary-Belle Simmons <[log in to unmask]> said:
> >
> > >After spending an hour on the phone with tech support, I am
> > >sending an email to this list.  I have an IBM, AMD K6-2 500mhz
> > >with a Rockwell 56K data fax pci modem installed.  I connect at
> > >31200 or slower every time. Tech support was able to offer no
> > >advice after checking my settings and asking me about my phone
> > >line connection.  Would anyone here have any suggestions to
> > >improve the speed of my connection?  Thanks in advance. --
<snip> > > Mary-Belle:

> > Your phone line is the prime determinate of how you will connect.
> > There are also a few modem setup options which might be incorrect.
> > Your ISP tech support should be able to give you a "proper"
> > initialization string for the modem, althought it's probably the
> > default (assuming you are running Windows 9x).
>
> Actually, it was my ISP's tech support I was on the phone with.  They
> didn't mention an initialization string though.

Jan is correct here and this URL has this info about setting the
initialization strings, http://www.jenera.com/modems/. Find the correct
string for your Rockwell modem. Some 56K modems experience problems with
disconnections and/or slow throughput even after they have been flashed to
the latest K56Flex or v.90 software. The cause of these problems can usually
be attributed to the modem being too aggressive in the line speed
negotiations. If the client modem picks a speed that is too high for the
actual line quality, throughput will drop as the modem has to continually
perform retrains/renegotiations in an effort to reduce the number of data
errors.Luckily it is possible to use a command to tell the modem what
maximum line
speed to use. These commands are inserted in the Dial-Up-Networking box
called "Extra settings". You can find this box at MyComputer ->
DialUpNetworking ->
Rightclick the Pipeline Icon -> Properties -> Configure ->  Connection ->
Advanced -> Extra Settings

> > Some things to look at:
> >
> > 1. Is your modem a V.90 or an older K56 version. You may not be
> > compatible with you ISP's modems.
>
> I don't really know.  It's a new computer, so I'm assuming it's new
> technology.

> > 2. Use your modem setup option to force he modem to connect at
> > 28,800 and then call 3Com's (USR) free test line. You can get the
> > current number from thier website.
>
> I'd like to try this.  How do I force the modem to do anything?  And if
> I do connect at 28,800, then how do I call the phone number if I'm
> online?

It is possible to use a command to tell the modem what maximum line speed to
use. These commands are inserted in the Dial-Up-Networking box called "Extra
settings". You can find this box at MyComputer -> DialUpNetworking ->
Rightclick the Pipeline Icon -> Properties -> Configure ->  Connection ->
Advanced -> Extra Settings
There are several common chipsets used in modems, and they all use a
different command syntax. You will need to consult your modem
documentation/packaging to
determine what chipset your modem uses. Following is a list of common
chipsets and their appropriate commands
Rockwell chipset (used in internal and external modems)
  Most external modems sold in Australia  use the Rockwell chipset (with the
notable exceptions being USR/3COM brand modems). Internal modems typically
use a variety of different chips, but Rockwell is still a very popular
choice. Internal Rockwell chipset modems will normally have an ISA interface
3COM v90 chipset (used in external modems only) Almost all 3COM or USR
branded external modems will use this chipset.
Rockwell HCF chipset (used in internal modems only)
Many of the current internal 56K modems sold in Australia  use the Rockwell
HCF chipset (eg Diamond Supra 56i Pro). These modems have a PCI interface
Lucent LT Winmodem chipset (used in internal modems only). This is becoming
a very popular chipset for internal modems. The LT WinModem is available in
both ISA and PCI versions.

> > 2. Use your modem setup option to force he modem to connect at
> > 28,800 and then call 3Com's (USR) free test line. You can get the
> > current number from thier website.
>
> I'd like to try this.  How do I force the modem to do anything?  And if
> I do connect at 28,800, then how do I call the phone number if I'm
> online?

To test your modem's line  to determine whether a POTS phone line is capable
of doing 56K has been a
never ending challenge.   3Com/USR modems have the ATY11 command which
displays the compensated frequency response of the phone line and modem.
The results can be used to determine if the phone line is 56K capable.  Note
that this response curve is the results of the modem adaptive equalizer's
heroic attempt to obtain
the best response from a POTS phone line and not the actual frequency
response of the phone line.  Results will vary depending upon modem type and
firmware.

You do not need a 56K 3Com/USR modem to do this test.  A USR V.34 or 33.6
Sportster or Courier modem will work just fine.  However, non-USR modems
will
not work as they do not have the ATY11 command.

Use Hyperterminal or other terminal emulator to connect directly to your
modem. Setup for 57600 and to connect directly to whatever com port your
modem is
using. Type:  AT<enter>.  The modem should return OK.  If it doesn't, try
AT&F1 or AT&F
to temporarily reset the USR modem to its defaults.  Don't bother proceeding
until it belches OK.
Type:  ATDT 999-9999<enter> to dial your ISP.  Please replace the 999-9999
with your ISP's phone number.
You should get some kind of a login prompt.  You do not need to login. Type:
+++  and wait a few seconds.  It should return OK after a second or so.
Type: ATY11<enter> and a two column table of frequencies and amplitudes
should result. Wait 30-45 seconds for the equalizers to settle down.  Then
run: ATY11<enter>
for the final values.  3Com recommends 60 seconds, but I've found that 15
seconds is usually sufficient.
Type: ATH0 <enter> to hangup the phone line.
Save or print the final table of numbers.

> > 3. Are you located within 1.5 miles of the central office? If no,
> > you are not in a good place.
>
> We don't have an office here, and I don't know where the switching
> station is.  Thank you for your help.

In this case, it is imperative that you have your ISP tell you if they
support the V90 or flex standard.  Most ISP's support the newer standard.  I
hope this additional info helps. :-)

Walter R. Worth

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD... All the files from our File Download
         area and much more...  over 165 files, all on one CD!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions