Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:15:13 -0800
Hi all,

I'm having a problem I hope someone can help me with.  I've got
a Micron Millenia (AMD Athlon 1Ghz processor, 512 Mb of RAM,
3DLabs Oxygen VX1 Graphics board, PCTEL Platinum V.90 Winmodem,
Spitfire GVC AR862 Motherboard, Win ME OS)

The factory supplied winmodem was adequate (30-32k connects),
but I preferred to install a controller modem.  In the past,
I've used US Robotics modems with great success (connect speeds
up to 44-46k), so I bought a 56k Performance Pro modem (3CP5610A)
and installed it.  It worked fine for about the first three times,
then I noticed that it would drop the line intermittently.  I
enabled the speaker and heard short, random interruptions in the
dial tone and occasionally a short, climbing high-pitched "eeEEP!"
sound.  Sometimes, it would happen only once in a while, other
times it would occur every time I used it.  It didn't make any
difference if it was hot or cold, wet or dry, it was just totally
random, but failed about 80%-90% of the time.  I put the winmodem
back in and no problem, works every time.  After making sure
that I had the correct and latest driver, I figured it must be
a bad modem.  I took it back and exchanged it for a USR V.92
external faxmodem, model 5686.  Had the same problem, winmodem
worked fine, controller modem intermittently dies with lots of
stuttering line drops and high pitch squeals.  I tried replacing
the phone cables, the modem cable, upgraded to Win XP Home,
even brought home an identical modem from work with the same result.
Finally, last night, I bought a SIIG Single Fast 16550 Serial
Port card and installed it.  No luck, same problem.  I figure it must
be in the motherboard, but I have no idea how to check it out.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,

Gary W. Gerfen

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: