Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 02:42:47 -0500
One thing to consider if you copy data to a CD-Rom and then save it on a
new drive/location. Rom stuff is marked with a read-only attribute. Be
careful - if you try to open a moved data file and you cannot change the
info in it, double check the attribute setting for that file, it just
may be set to only have a read-only value and not an archive value.

Jean Bourvic

bobwarasila wrote:

> I've just successfully assembled a ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo running a 2.8
> with 800MHz FSB.  I'm now ready to transfer the "stuff" from my old computer
> to the new.  I will only be transferring data files as I'm pretty much
> installing all new applications.  I know how to export/import my IE
> favorites, but I'm not so sure about how to transfer all my OE stuff
> including existing saved e-mails.  I've collected several posts over the
> last year on how to most efficiently transfer the data files directly from
> the old HD (3 GB) to the new (120 GB).  One by Tom Turak suggests standing
> the existing boxes next to other, disconnecting the CD IDE from the new and
> connecting the old HD to the secondary IDE.  Another by Joe Lore suggests
> physically removing the old HD and placing it in the new box as the
> secondary IDE again with the new CD/DVD devices disconnected.
>
> I can see they are essentially similar approaches  but does one have less
> potential for trouble than the other?
>
> My old HD is probably formatted as FAT16 (built by Dell in November 1996).
> When I click on properties (W95) it only says FAT.  My new system is running
> XP Pro with a NFST format.  Will this be a problem?
>
> Lastly I will only be transferring about 500 MB of files and could do this
> with 100 MB Zip files moved to my Athlon machine which has a burner and then
> move them as a disk to the new machine.  Is that safer?
>
> Thanks in advance for the expertise of this group,
>
> Bob Warasila
> [log in to unmask]  (home)
> [log in to unmask]   (work)
> [log in to unmask] (work)