From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:31:41 -0500
EIDE hard drives often have a MBTF (Mean time between failures) of
400,000 hours. While any use contributes to wear, the value of frequent
  scans far outweighs the additional use involved.
Backups cause wear also, but may be even more important than virus scans.
I choose to scan daily and backup weekly.

Sybilgal wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Can anyone tell me if scanning your system daily does any harm to the HD?
> Is there a frequency limit that one should have?
>

> I a DSLmodem and a router to accommodate my son's laptop-if that makes any
> difference.
>

> Thank you for your help,
>

> Kathleen LaValley
>
>               The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                      support at our newest website:

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads