From:
"Twin*.*Star" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 10:08:18 -0400
Not necessary disagreeing with the response but being more detailed.

In order to read CD-R & CD-RW a the reader must by "multi-read" capable.
Some order readers will read CD-R  and not CD-RW. Some will read neither.
Newer readers will also not read them if they are not multi-read.

Besides PC readers, this situation applies to audio readers also. I have an
old (years or more) audio reader that reads all three formats fine. I also
have two new (less than 2 years) portable audio CD readers that will only
read CD-R.

They do no use different "format" in the way I define format. The inability
to read has to do with hardware not software (format). The reflectivity of
CD-R and CD-RW are less than a standard CD. CD-R & CD-RW use a colored ink
that is changed during the "burn" that makes the "holes" the reflect back or
not. Standard CDs actually have holes in them with a mirrored surface under
the holes. That is cause of the less reflectivity in CD-R & CD-RW. The
inability to read these less reflective disks has to do with the laser
frequency and power.

Daniel Wysocki
Twin*.*Star Computers
770-498-2582 /800-816-0663