From:
Dan Shaughnessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 19:59:11 -0500
> I've got a problem detailed below, but as an aside, is it possible to run
> 3dfx card alongside a powervr card? Specifically, a Matrtox M3d, plus an
> Orchid Righteous 3d 1 (4mb)?
I don't know if/how this would work.  You could try it with a program like
3D control center that would let you select the accelerator to use when

> I've just got hold of a 4MB Orchid Righteous 3D 3dfx (voodoo 1), used with
> a Mystique 220. It's great, much nicer than the Matrox M3D (more support),
> but it plays GLQuake 1 weird. Everything is textured in a radius around my
> character, and that radius moves with me, but on everything outside the
> radius (maybe a 20-ft diameter circle in-game)  all surfaces are totally
> blank (like when you use the r_lightmap 1 command). Anyone know why? If I
> use the OPENGL32.DLL supplied in my WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder, the game runs
> windowed, and looks fine, but its IMPOSSIBLE to play, as each keypress
> takes 10 secs or more to produce a response

You need to use the 3Dfx Mini GL driver with GLQuake, not the standard
OpenGL driver.  You can find the mini driver at
http://www.3dfx.com/view_io.asp?ID=32  You also may need to uninstall your
existing version of GLQuake, and reinstall.  I'm not sure why this is, I've
just heard that as a solution for people switching 3D cards with this game.
The current OpenGL version is 1.08, and can be found at
http://www.idsoftware.com/archives/quakearc.html

Hope you get it working...

Dan Shaughnessy

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: