From:
Pinelands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 20:51:36 +0200
>I am thinking of getting a new video card, but I do not understand this.
>How do you have two video cards??  If you get a 2d card and a 3d card, how do
you
>hook them up?   Can you hook your monitor to either one and they talk
>through the pci bus?

Your monitor is hooked up to you 2D card

>Also, I play games on my computer a lot.  I like things like Civilization
>and Might and
>Magic as opposed to the shoot-em games like Quake or Doom.  Do I need 3d
>cards with "high frame rates?"  What about high-res games like Railroad
>Tycoon II
>that use 1280 x 1040?

The games you mention do not require 3D graphics cards but you may find you can
play them at much higher resolutions *if* they can take advantage of a 3D
graphics card. I believe that RRTycoon II is capable of using 3D hardware
acceleration.

>How does an SLI connection work?  Is it a cable between the two cards, or do
>they talk through the bus?

Yes there is a small cable which you plug into each card, thus allowing one card
to create all the even lines and one to create the odd lines.

>TIA
>
>Dean Kukral   [log in to unmask]

Cheers
Kevin Hains